Get Praise and Coffee in your email.

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Friday, January 4, 2008

Let's also choose to forgive ourselves!

Who knows ME better than ME?
No one but God.
He sees all, He knows all.
The good, the bad and the ugly.

And yet, He loves us and offers us mercy and grace for every sin we’ve ever committed.

I have spent far too much time beating myself up over things in my past.
Mistakes that I’ve made, sins that I’ve committed.

Here is God’s response to our sin:
Jer 31:34
"For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more."
NIV

Once we have repented and turned from that sin, we are forgiven.

Sometimes it can be easier for me to forgive others than myself because I hold myself in higher scrutiny. I can get so disappointed in myself that it continues the cycle of pain that the initial sin caused.

God wants us free to forgive others and ourselves.
If God chooses not to remember our sins any longer, why do we choose to keep bringing them back up?
We won’t necessarily forget what we’ve done, but we can use those memories as a springboard of thankfulness that we are not in that place any longer.
Thankful that the Lord has forgiven us and it is a new day!

Here is the same powerful verse we used in talking about forgiving others:
Heb 12:1
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses,
let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles,
and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.
NIV


Throw off those weights of confessed and forgiven sin!
Don’t let them entangle you one more day.

Repentance and turning away from sin is what God asks of us, not penance.

We have a race to run this year ladies, let’s get this baggage off and run it!

Don’t forget to enter the January drawing!
Click HERE to enter the January drawing!

Blessings,
Sue

20 comments:

Denise C said...

Good Morning Sue!

Wonderful insightful post!
I'm ready to run that race and shed that baggage that will hinder me too! .... (Plus a few unwanted pounds!)
You make me think every time I vist.....and I do visit everyday! Thanks for your sweet words once again, on my blog. I think you are so very precious as well! Have a blessed day!

Love, Denise

Momma Roar said...

Thank you for the wonderful reminder!!

Monkey Giggles said...

Hello my friend,

As always thank you for the wonderful reminder.

Smiles and hugs

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Forgiving others is easier than forgiving ourselves....great post!

Char said...

Hi Sue c",)
Thanks so much for this post! What you said is so true. Thank you for reminding us about this! xxx

Anonymous said...

You said it best when you said "We won’t necessarily forget what we’ve done, but we can use those memories as a springboard of thankfulness that we are not in that place any longer." Often times we ask and receive forgiveness and neglect to give thanks. Especially, when our transgression is brought back to our memory (not by God).

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

Great...great post. Isn't it interesting that we are often the hardest...toughest...on ourselves...sigh....

I'm so THANKFUL for forgiveness.

Anonymous said...

I have been doing this also, it has been hard for me to let go of some things. But with God's help I am finally getting there.

Happy New Yr.

Rhonda said...

Excellent post Sue! As women we certainly carry far too much guilt. We need to forgive ourselves and live in the freedom that we were meant to!

Bless you girl!

Anonymous said...

Yes, let's run it!!!!!

mommy24treasures said...

amen.

A Stone Gatherer said...

I like how you said "but we can use those memories as a springboard of thankfulness that we are not in that place any longer." That is so true! I praise God for what He has done for me! For the great forgiveness he gives me!

Roo said...

hi sue!
i like you!

Praise and Coffee said...

LOL Ruth.
Don't know what to say, but you cracked me up!

Hugs!

Paula said...

I agree I'm always beating myself up over past (and currant) sins, I always have to remind myself that God doesn't remember them, so why should I?

Linda said...

Great post. Satan would love nothing more than for us to wallow in self pitty over our past forgiven sins. I love what you said about looking back and being thankful you are no longer there.
Blessings,
Linda

Susan said...

True repentence is of God but condemnation is of Satan. A big difference and we need to recognize the difference. Great post and reminder.
Susan

Sharon Brumfield said...

It is so strange how my thoughts often want to do penance so that God will feel I have earned my forgiveness.
There is nothing I can do to earn it-just pick it up and move on.
Leaving the suitcase with Him and walking on!

sharon brobst said...

I too have been here.
I have found that focusing on God's forgiveness and then accepting it unconditionally helps. I don't have to earn it or do pentance...only accept it.

Praise and Coffee said...

Well girls, it does my heart good to know that I'm not alone in my self loathing at times!!

Once again, we bring it to the cross.

Amen to all of you!!

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top