Get Praise and Coffee in your email.

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Bring God Your Brokenheart

Hello friends,
I know that I have written before about God healing our brokenhearts, but I feel that as I read your emails and talk to some of you, it is an ongoing issue for many of us.
I have combined a few of my old posts to hopefully minister healing to your hearts today.


I was talking with a friend once about the battle that takes place in our mind and thoughts. I had been struggling with depression and discouragement after walking through an extremely difficult and painful situation.

I told her how I had forgiven those involved, but I could not seem to get past the pain even though it had been months since it happened. I knew that in my heart I had forgiven, I was even able to see those involved and not have anger in my heart. So why was I still hurting?

I was praying on a regular basis for God to reveal to me if there was more that I needed to do in the situation, but it seemed I was without direction.
Did I really forgive them?
Was I just fooling myself?
I didn’t think so, but still I couldn’t get past it.

My friend spoke to me from the heart of God, she said ‘I think you have forgiven, you’re not doing anything wrong, but it sounds like you need healing from a broken heart.

Psalms 147:33
He heals the brokenheartedand binds up their wounds.
NIV

I knew at that moment that those words were from the heart of God.

It hit me like a fresh wind. I was so excited that I got off the phone with her right away and went to be alone with the Lord. I poured my soul out to Him and asked Him to heal my wounded heart.

Once again I prayed for those that had hurt me and thanked God for completely healing my heart. It was wonderful! I know that He did a deep healing in my heart that day. For weeks I didn’t hurt and joy overflowed in my heart.

But, Satan lurks and waits- sometimes he’s more patient than we are, and a day came when I had an opportunity to once again pick up the pain from the past.

As if I was rehearsing for a play, I re-enacted scenes in my mind of what this person had done, how I would respond and what they might say. Before I knew what was happening, the hurt started to creep back in. This time though was different than all the rest, because I knew that God had healed me and I realized that satan was trying to get me to fall back into that pit of pain and depression.

I stood my ground and started to pray. I cast those thoughts out of my head and thanked the Lord for healing my broken heart.

2 Cor 10:5
Bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ
NKJV

I believe that if I had continued on that thought pattern, I could have fallen into that pit and started the horrible cycle of pain all over again. I am so thankful that the Holy Spirit helped me recognize that attack.

As wonderful as it is when God reveals and heals a heart in this manner, I realize that not all healing happens this way.

I picture some of our pain like a spider web. Our heart can be broken and the effects can affect many different relationships and situations that we don’t even realize at the onset. Then as we walk through this life, different seasons reveal the need for healing from events in our past.

Let me tell you about another time when my heart was broken.

When I was a young girl around 8 years old, I was sexually abused by a friend of the family for over a year of my life. The abuse has affected so many areas of my life. I have since forgiven the man and God has healed my heart, but that does not mean that it is over and done with.

There are still times that fears and pain will come up that I can trace back to this event. When I see it affecting my relationships, I have to address the root of the issue and go to God with it.

When I was a teenager, I heard a speaker at church talking about God healing people who had been abused. He talked about forgiveness being part of the process of healing. I really broke down that night. I prayed for God to heal me and prayed for the man who had abused me all those times.

I felt God’s love and I felt protected. I know that God has healed me because if I saw that man today, I could share God’s love with him. I could tell him that I forgive him. Not because he deserves it, but because I need that same forgiveness from God that I don’t deserve.

I could let my heart be bitter towards him and wait until he begs on his hands and knees for me to forgive him, but that would only hurt me.

Matt 6:14-15
For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.
NIV

I will not let Satan continue the abuse in me by holding on to unforgiveness in my heart. To keep bitterness in me is to continue being a victim. I don’t want to be a victim ever again.

God healed my heart, and the “sting” of the pain is gone. However, I still remember what happened, I still struggle with trust and security.Thankfully, I now have a relationship with my Heavenly Father that is safe and secure and I know that He will never stop loving me.

The truth of the matter is that life can break your heart. But GOD. He can bind us up and bring healing. He makes beauty out of life’s mud.

Bring your pain and sorrow to Him. Let Him hold you close and heal you.

Psalms 40:2-3
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,out of the mud and mire;
He set my feet on a rockand gave me a firm place to stand.
3 He put a new song in my mouth,a hymn of praise to our God.
Many will see and fearand put their trust in the LORD.
NIV

Glory to God for a new song!!!!

I'm praying for you,
Sue

31 comments:

Monkey Giggles said...

Hello my friend,

Oh yes, I have been served a few "mud pies" before. And they don't taste good at all. But the Lord has away of washing it down (away).

Smiles and Hugs

Mocha with Linda said...

Thank you for these beautiful words and for your vulnerable sharing. You are blessing others with your ministry.

Denise said...

Your blog truly touches my heart, thank you.

Tiffany said...

I need the reminder to let God heal me when someone else has hurt me. Thank you!

LadySnow said...

I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your blog. It is such a joy/honor to read your thoughts. :D

concerned parent said...

Sue, this brings up so much for me and you know while reading what you so heartfully shared with us I can see that this broken heart I've been carring around needs to be heald. I have tried to push down what I went through instead of facing it thank you for helping to me today.

Anonymous said...

I have been praying for the healing of my broken heart also. I know God will handle this for me. I always love reading your blog, you never cease to inspire me.
Debbie

Shari said...

Wow, the similarities in our life journeys is unbelievable. My God loves us a TON!!

The first year of our marriage my husband walked me through forgiving a man who had violated me. The forgiveness came in stages but brought me great peace and freedom. About 7 years ago I attended his funeral and God actually gave me a picture of how tormented he had been.. but how he was finally able to come to peace with God.

Thanks for the post - it lines up with some material I've just ordered Joyce Meyer's "Battlefield of the Mind".

Blessings as you continue to walk in Victory.

Denise C said...

What a touching and beautiful post, Sue! You are an amazing woman of GOD and I am blessed to call you my friend, my sister in Christ!

Love and hugs coming your way today!

Susan said...

Wonderful post Sue. Been hurt badly (who of us hassn't?!!!). I think it is one of the necessary steps in being able to forgive which is a requirement. God himself tells us that.

I could not do it on my own, although I wanted desperately to do so. Finally I just said, "Lord I am willing to be willing." Once I set my will that way the forgiveness, and healing began. Slowly, but surely. WE can never do anything. It must ALWAYS be HIM!!!!!
Susan

Victoria said...

What a powerful and on point blog! You have summed up my testimony and confirmed the questions of "have I truly forgiven if I still feel the pain". Thank you so much for sharing this! I loved this sentence most of all..."But GOD." Says it all.
Let the Son shine,
Victoria

Judy said...

Thanks for very pointed words. My pastor told me to read and meditate on 2 Cor. 10:5 a couple of years ago. I never knew that verse was in there. I am amazed at how many times I have come across it since then! I get the hint from God that taking every thought captive is something He wants from me!

Jill said...

This is such a wonderful life lesson. One thing that really struck me is that satan is very, very patient, isn't he? He can so often outwait us. This is one issue my husband and I have struggled with in out marriage. Though our "issues" are more the every-day type and not major issues, he expects me to start with a "clean slate" every day and forgive and forget whatever transpired the day before. To me, that's just not possible. And, truth be told, he doesn't clean his slate every day, either. I try, and forgivness comes easier to me these days as I grow older and realize each day really is a gift and we should not dwell in the negative. This was wonderful to read.

Kim@Seasons of My Heart said...

I needed this today!

Being wounded is such a painful thing.....and I'm currently finding myself *crawling* out from this pit.

I know that the end result will be well worth the journey...but it's the process...that is so very painful...yet necessary.

As always..THANK-YOU for touching my heart!

Lisa Spence said...

Praise God, nothing and no one is beyond His power to redeem!

Momma Roar said...

I praise God for Him laying this message on your heart and for your willingness to share it today.

Blessings!

Heather C said...

Wonderful and timely post, Sue! I'm walking through a pretty painful experience right now and your words (God's Words) have brought both encouragement and conviction. My hurt needs to be healed... but I also need to forgive. Tall order in present circumstances, but that's how I know it's all Him, right? Thanks for this post... love it.

Heather

Anonymous said...

I don't know who you are or remember how I got to your site, I think the Lord led me. Your post was an inspiration to me, to find other Christian in the world that share the same stuggles, and are willing to be led by the Holy Spirit and Love the same Lord. I agree with every word you said about your remidies for healing hurts. My brother once said "I think the biggest hinderance there is to forgiveness is that we as Christians belive it's wrong to be angry" The Bible says be angry and sin not. If we would only admit to God that ____ has made us angry and we choose with God's love to forgive _____. We could better forgive. After all God knows we are angry even if we don't want to admit it. It has helped me a lot and I hope it helps someone else. In Christ, gramma_s

Linda said...

Glory to God!!!
You said it so beautifully thanks for exposing your pain in order to share with others how loving our Father is.
Blessings,
Linda

Anonymous said...

He makes beauty out of life’s mud.

How very true!
He also enables obedient followers to point others in the direction of healing, as you've done in this post. You're a testimony of His grace.

Sandy said...

Powerful post, Sue. You are a blessing to so many!
Sandy

Mission Musings said...

Thank you for sharing from your heart, making yourself vulnerable, for those of us who are heart-broken. Very timely post.

Anonymous said...

sue, this post answered the one question i have been asking God since yesterday. what else is needed Lord? then i read this post. it does makes sense. i've forgiven but it seems like i can't get past it. did i really forgive? now i know that i did, but i need God's healing of my broken heart.

thank you for sharing this, sue. like you, it did hit me like a fresh wind too.

God bless you, sue.

Paula said...

You hit the nail on the head. Satan has a sneaky way of trying to creep back in to our thoughts. I have recently had to banish him from my thoughts in the name of Jesus Christ. It really worked for me. Thanks for another great post.
Paula

Celly B said...

Thank you for your transparency in showing how God has helped you to forgive. We all need that lesson!

Julie said...

I loved your post. One of the things I tell my children all the time is "forgiveness is not for your offender, it's for YOUR heart." God knows that when we don't forgive it is our heart that is held captive.

Forgiveness is sometimes the hardest thing to do.
It is, in my opinion, one of the greatest acts for our freedom.

Yet the healing. Forgiveness is like open heart surgery to repair a clogged artery. In the surgery the problem is taken care of, there is a time of healing that follows.

I have to remind myself to walk in the forgiveness that I have given. The enemy will try to snag me back in. Seems like you learned that too....

Thanks for sharing. I am new to blogging and thoroughly enjoying it. I love meeting new people.
Now if I could just figure out how to find all those blogs that I read and enjoyed. How in the world do you bookmark blogs?

Blessings,
Julie

Heather said...

Sue, that moment when you realized that you needed healing for a broken heart was a landmark. We need to hear those words from our friends, don't we? And to realize that Satan wants to bring it back up even when it is finished in God's mind.

Karen Hossink said...

How timely this message is for me today.
Thank you!!!

Amy L Brooke said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I have also struggled with past abuse. I am so glad God is faithful. It was a touching thing to read.

Sandy said...

What a wonderful reminder of where to place our focus and in whom to trust when faced with difficult circumstances.

Blessings,
Miss Sandy

Sarah said...

what a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing. It has been enlightening. :) ♥

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top