Get Praise and Coffee in your email.

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Thursday, April 26, 2007

Freedom to Grow


Have you ever had a garden? I’ve never grown food or vegetables, but I really like my flower gardens. Many times when I am out there pulling weeds, I think about God’s Kingdom. I think about how the weeds grow so much faster than the flowers.
I notice that the roots on the weeds tend to wrap around the roots of the flowers to better anchor themselves. I realize that the tall weeds will surround and smother my flowers to the point that they can’t get the sunlight that they need to grow. I think about the fact that if I don’t get rid of the weeds, I won’t have any flowers at all, which makes me think about God’s Kingdom.

Jesus tells a story in Matthew 13 about a farmer who plants his seeds. Some fall among thorns that grow up and choke out the tender blades. Jesus tells us that the thorns represent cares and worries. I believe that in the midst of every ‘storm’ there are thorns. There are fears and worries that sprout up and try to choke out the simple faith that first brought us into God’s Kingdom.

I get frustrated sometimes when I think about the fact that weeds and thorns seem to have so much strength and stamina to survive. They never seem to need watering, they steal all the good soil, and will take over an entire garden if left alone. But then, there’s my precious flowers. They have all the beauty but the weeds try to destroy them. My flowers need time, attention and nourishment. It seems like an unending battle that I’m not sure I want to fight day after day.

Like a tall weed blocking the sun from reaching a tender blade, fear towers over us intimidating us to stop fighting the good fight. Fear clouds our judgment. Like that flower, we no longer see the Son, only the fear. Cares and worries try to stop us from believing God.

I love John 15:1, Jesus says:
I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.
NLT


Just like my flowers will not survive without my help, we cannot survive without the help of the Father. He sent Jesus to take away the power of those cares and worries and He tells us to cast them on Him. His Word gives us the truth that we need to see beyond our (weeds) circumstances and storms.

Through all that Jesus did for us, and God’s amazing love, we don’t have to live a life smothered under fear. Don’t live under the control of fear and worry for one more minute.

1 Peter 5:7
7 Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully.
AMP


Let the beauty of the flowers thrive in the sun-SON!


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great post!! I was just weeding in my garden yesterday thinking the very same thing about how easy the weeds grow. Thanks for this insightful spiritual application. You write really well.

Roo said...

ohhhhhhhh i have had the same thoughts my friend...
weeds and gardens speak to me deeply. thank you for sharing.

btw - i would love to hear your story on how you got your little girl.......

Dionna said...

Thank you for stopping by my blog.:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Sue,
Love the amplified part of that last verse, "once and for all"...isn't that the truth! Great blog!

greta lynn hernandez said...

1 Peter 5:7 seems to be my verse today. My husband and I had an unexpected disappointment this morning, and even though I tried to withhold the tears saying, "I'm strong...I don't need to cry," they fell anyway. My dear husband sat in the car with me and reminded me that disappointments and struggles will come, but that we need to remember all of the wonderful blessings and provisions the Lord provides, even in the midst of them. He also reminded me that I don't need to feign strength because it's God's strength that sustains me! And, he reminded me to entrust my worries to God.

When we got home, for we had taken a short trip downtown, I broke out my finest white board marker and scrawled 1 Peter 5:7 in large letters to remind me all day long that He will carry me.

What a timely reminder it was to read your post.

God bless!

Anonymous said...

Very timely for me, Sue. Thanks. I love how you seem to be hiding in my prayer closet....

Tamatha said...

hhhhhmmmmm.....deep thoughts....thanks for sharing. I am going to suggest to a friend that she read this post!:o)

Holly said...

Soak Him up right now, friend. Let no thorns or fears, I mean 'um weeds, dismay. Our God in the midst of you is Mighty! This time is so special right now. Having been there with the Lord, I miss that particular time in my life. It was marked, set apart...the time before the KNOW, we called it.

May God bless you all and may you each one bloom beautifully during this time!
Love in Him,
Holly

Shari said...

Hi Sue
I've been absent from blogging for most of the week - so am catching up on reading posts.

I've just come in from "weeding" so I really relate to this illustration.

Blessings and keep on writing.

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top