Get Praise and Coffee in your email.

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Out with the old, in with the new..blah, blah, blah

New Year, new day....gone with the old! Blah, blah, blah.

Frankly it's just a bunch of hype if you ask me.
I don't know about you, but I'm walking into this New Year with the same trials and struggles, joys and hopes that I had yesterday. They're not dropping off when the ball drops.

Yes, I believe that is it a good time to re-evaluate our lives and decide what needs to change and set some goals. If the calendar year changing is what propels you to do that, great. It needs to be done. But don't stop there. We need to be just as motivated to change and take a good look at our lives on March 3rd (random date).

Don't get me wrong, I am so thankful for newness! I love that His mercies are new everyday.
Every single one of these days...

Lam 3:22-23
Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.

23 They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness.
NIV

I LOVE that!!!!
I count on that, every single day of my life.
I love that we are to look ahead and not behind us:

Isaiah 43:18-19
"Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.
19 See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
NIV

But that is a word for EVERY DAY.
It means that we are to be new in the attitude of our minds and put off our sinful nature.

Eph 4:20-24
20 You, however, did not come to know Christ that way.

21 Surely you heard of him and were taught in Him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. 22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires;
23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds;
24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
NIV

Put off the former life, the life of sin. The life of fear, doubt and worry. Put it all off and be made new in the attitude of your minds.
I love verse 24:
YOU were created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
Every day.

I love new beginnings, I do look back on this year and learn from my mistakes. I set goals for the upcoming year. But I don't get caught up in the attitude and hype of a New Year, as if it's more important to re-evaluate today than any other day.


This walk with Christ is not January to December. It's day by day.
We should examine our hearts and lives every day.

We should also live to praise and thank Him, every day!
Ps 145:22
Every day I will praise You and extol Your name for ever and ever.
NIV

I hope you have a wonderful New Years Eve and of course I'll be around this whole year talking about the Lord and His amazing love, every day.

18 comments:

Yolanda said...

Right there with you Sue, every day!

Reaching for Higher Grounds, EVERY DAY! ;-)

Yolanda

Karen Newman Fridy said...

Gosh I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about New Year's! Though I guess it does serve as a reminder to do what we should do everyday, and perhaps for some is a starting line for that process. The trick is to keep walking in newness...I think when you realize that every day is "New Year's" is when you find true joy.

So, Happy New Year, day 1!

Smelling Coffee said...

These are some of my favorite verses! I love having a fresh start - every day!!!

Praising Him with you,
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Sue, I just finished writing my post and then came to read yours. I wrote about something very similar that would add to what you are saying here. It is a poem by Ruth Bell Graham.
It is definitely day to day walking for me!

Miriam :)

Julie said...

Yep, same stuff today will be there tomorrow....as far as struggles, circumstances, etc go...

But as I look back this year as I love to do... I am amazed at all He has done. (if you want to read about it, check out my blog)

You are right....each and every day of the year we should be seeking HIs face for what He desire to do in and through us... new beginnings with Him each day.

Have a blessed New Years!
Julie

Praise and Coffee said...

I agree! It is wonderful to look back and rejoice at all He's done over the past year!!

creative gal said...

Thank you! What a great reminder of how we should look at life! :o)

Cathy said...

I agree with you, Sue. I have spent many New Year's Eves alone. Yet not alone, for the Lord is with me.

Mary Jo said...

Awesome, Awesome post! Thx for sharing. Romans 12:1 - Message version is one of my key life verses.

:)

Happy New Every Day!

Mel said...

Day by Day, hour by hour...great post. Happy 2009

Sandy said...

same to you sue, happy 2009!

Heather C said...

Excellent post and awesome perspective! Right alongside you... every day!

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

Sue-I don't do New Years resolutions but instead, each year I search for a speicial verse('s) to carry me though. It has been a wonderful spiritual practice for me. For the first time in several years, I can look back without regret but instead examine how awesome our God is, and no matter the trials and tribulations I have had to face. He has risen above it all and so have I. It's a moment-by-moment process!!

Happy New Year!

In His Graces~Pamela

mariel said...

GREAT thoughts, Sue! SOOO true! I totally agree...praise Him that His mercies ARE new on June 8th as on Jan 1st!! I pray He blessed you tomorrow and all year!

candypb said...

I think it's fun to take some time to look back into the last year and look at the year to come. I'm a "memories" kinda woman.
But I'm with you on the daily devotion to tackling each day with a new heart and setting our minds on the important things.

Quiltingranny said...

Great Sue! I haven't thought of New Year in the same light since I was 12 & got to stay up while it rang in. What a disappointment...nothing changed, the sky was still dark, the grass was still winter brown, I was still 12. I expected something but it didn't arrive. The only thing the 1st does for me is get my files cleaned, my closets and drawers cleaned and helps me to look at my priorities once again. I love the way you put things!

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

I'm looking forward to your insights and encouragement this year! Happy New Year!

Xandra

Victoria said...

"This walk with Christ is not January to December. It's day by day.
We should examine our hearts and lives every day."

What a good word and a great encouragement!

Thanks!

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top