This is good news for REAL moms!
Tutors are great but studies show that the best students are not ones with tutors but instead a strong family support makes a child a better learner.
It turns out that the family environment is crucial in forming good habits early on in a child's life. Who'da thought?!
Here are a few ways we can help our kids do well in school:
1. Give them a place to study and do homework. Try to keep
That being said...this REAL mom has practiced spelling words in the car on many occasions.
2. We've talked about this a few times but it bares repeating...communicate with your kids, ask them how things are going in their classes. Which classes do they struggle in, which class is their favorite and why.
3. Communicate with teachers, find out if homework is getting turned in and how they feel your child is doing in class. And as your child see you doing this, the accountability may be good incentive to work harder.
4. Help your kids learn HOW to study. This will really help them as they get older. If you've ever been super tired like me at the end of a day (like I was in this post) and then you realize that they didn't do their homework and you are tempted to just give them the answers,
5. And the most important (well not really but it seems that the last one should always be the most important) remain supportive even when they struggle.
Homework is not
Real moms like you and I can make a huge difference, in fact the MOST difference in our kids education.
I'd love to hear any tips you have!
If you are not in the West Michigan area, you can listen online at iHeart Radio: STAR 105.7
And visit Tommy and Brook at:
STAR 105.7 on Facebook
@TommyAndBrook on Twitter