Get Praise and Coffee in your email.

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Sue's Famous Blackberry Crisp

Let me start this post with a huge disclaimer.

This blog is not a cooking blog.

It even doesn't pretend to be a cooking blog.

It doesn't play one on TV or the Internet.

But, I came across a batch of wild blackberries in our field last night and had to make something fabulous with them.

I should warn you though, blackberries don't like to be picked. They wage war on you the minute they see you skipping up to them with an empty Cool Whip container.

For starters they have prickers the size of kitchen knives. And the beetles were everywhere. I was sure they were in my hair so I whipped my head around every couple minutes like Taylor Swift in concert.

Then I stepped into the berry patch and my flip flop fell off.
While trying to wiggle it back on I lost my balance (probably dizzy from all the hair whipping) and the vines wrapped their knives around me like a fly in a spider web. It was chaos. I felt like I was in an episode of Curious George.

Eventually, bruised and bloodied I stepped into the house and had a nice bunch of berries.







I took them out of the Cool Whip container for this lovely, pixel-y picture
taken from my cell phone. Hey if you want The Pioneer Woman, hop over there. I would!



So, I searched online for a recipe and ended up using bits and pieces from each one to make my own blackberry crisp.

Sue's Famous (it's my blog I can say that) Blackberry Crisp

3-4 cups blackberries
1/2 cup white sugar
2 TBLS of flour (because the berries get runny when baked)

Mix and put into buttered baking dish.

Then mix:

1 c raw oats
1 c brown sugar
1 c flour
2/3 c melted butter
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Chopped walnuts..if you like them...I do. So I put in lots.

Then dump, (that's how I do it) the mixture into the baking dish on top of berries.

Bake at 375 until topping is browned and berries are a bubblin!





If you serve it hot with ice-cream, your ice-cream will be insanely jealous that it's not the star of the show. But go for it, I've heard that ice-cream never holds a grudge.


  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top