Get Praise and Coffee in your email.

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Tips for a Better Marriage

Photobucket

Whether you consider yourself to be in a good marriage
or a bad marriage,
it can always be better!

Tips for a Better Marriage

1. Communicate. Talk…take the time to talk to one another without complaining or blaming your spouse.

2. Listen to what your spouse says…with more than ears. Watch their expressions and body language, it may say more than words.

3. Respect each other’s differences. God made us individuals- and we should be thankful for that. Chances are you found some of these differences endearing before you were married. Appreciate the person God made your spouse to be.

4. Just plain respect each other! All of us have a deep need to feel loved, appreciated and respected. If you feel your spouse is completely undeserving of respect, chances are you have some bitterness in your heart that needs to be dealt with. Forgive your spouse and choose to respect them, it WILL change your whole relationship!

5. Publically praise and respect your spouse. If we are not each other’s biggest fan, who will be…could be the wrong person.
Avoid ever making jokes at the expense of your spouse!!!! You two are ONE, you are tearing your own self down when you make fun of them.

Matt 22:37-38
37 Jesus replied, "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind.' 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. The second most important is similar: 'Love your neighbor as much as you love yourself.'
TLB

6. Respect your financial situation. Times are tough for many folks these days. Make sure you and your spouse are on the same page with spending. NO sneaky spending sprees ladies!!

7. Make fun! Have a sense of humor. Play together, laugh together! When was the last time you shared a laugh with your spouse?

8. Make love! Develop intimacy. Ask your spouse what they really wants but may be afraid to ask! Be willing to be each other’s fantasy, get over your insecurities…you’re married- this is what it’s for!
Your marriage was meant to be a good thing! If it's not, YOU can be a huge part of changing that. Don't wait for your spouse to change, look in the mirror and see what you can change to have a better, strong and more fulfilling marriage!
I'm praying for our marriages,

15 comments:

Smelling Coffee said...

Some great advice for marriages! I'm learning that especially #10 is one of the most important and valuable ways of staying connected with our husbands.

I'm praying that every day, we will grow in our desire for each other in every way - and that God is glorified through our marriage!

Sazaran said...

As of late, I try to read and (gulp) practice steps to help my marriage. But, it seems so one sided!

Susan said...

Sazaran...I think we all feel that way sometimes. But God will totally honor it. Trust Him.

Good one, today, Sues. (but they always are!)

Shelly said...

Okay, so granted I've only been married for about a month and half, but I came straight over here after seeing your blog title in my facebook world, hungry to learn! :)

Thank you!

He & Me + 3 said...

Great post...and each tip is so true. Thanks for posting these.

heidi said...

Oh wow! What a great post. As always perfect timing for me...we are dealing with finances and he just made note of how well I'm doing watching my budget. Let me be the first to say, budget, what is a budget?! And I'll admit, temptation has been BIG. I've been working on submission over this past year, and the Lord has been showing me the fruits of labor. We always maintain humor in our relationship...11 years and counting. Not bad. I feel more blessed this year in our marriage. Marriage isn't easy but it sure can be fun when you put the Lord first.

Angela Baylis said...

Thanks for caring about our Marriages and for praying for them! I love your enthusiasm for making them the best they can be!
Much love,
Angie xoxo

Unknown said...

I appreciate your tips. With the negative news and poor economy many of us are under so much stress. It's nice when I can be with my husband and feel so safe and reassured.

Faye said...

WHAT A BLESSING THIS POST IS!HAVE A GREAT DAY!BLESSINGS, FAYE

Simply Blessed said...

Marriage is one place I struggle to follow ... but I stay on my knees asking for God's strength to help me as well as my husband in our 2 year old marriage !!!!
These are good reminders for me to go by as well.
Thanks!

Sherrylinn said...

Great advice today, thanks!

Zaankali said...

Thank you for continuing to help us focus on our marriages!
Smiles!

Sharon Lynne said...

Great advice. I can always use a refresher. We will be celebrating 30 years in September!

Brazen Hussey's said...

This is such a great post, especially tip #8.

Yes, I'm a husband, go figure. Nonetheless: Song of Solomon IS canonical!

Woman up, indeed. Keep up the uber-fantastic site and words of wisdom. I'm two-thumb-uppin' this for my beloved bride.

--JMH

bettermarriage said...

simple tips but very useful for the older couple who need some spark on their marriage life, so worth to try.

  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top