Get Praise and Coffee in your email.

Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz

Monday, February 28, 2011

Should the "Mary's" look down on the "Martha's"?



Luke 10:38-41
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came
to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and
asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by
myself? Tell her to help me!” "
Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are
worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”



As a highly motivated, busy kind of gal, I used to read this verse and feel instant condemnation.

How dare I be so busy?

I am such a loser. I will never be that calm, sweet, quiet gal who sits still for hours at a time…somewhere in a tranquil room, probably an empty closet, and talks to Jesus. I don’t know why I pictured her this way, I mean, who has empty closets anyways? I’d be sitting on old worn shoes or a pile of dirty clothes if I camped out in my closet.

But I thought that Mary, the one who chose “the better part”, was surely looking down her nose at this Martha who was busy fussing over the dishes in the sink and making sure to bring homemade cookies to her daughter’s class for treats while cleaning up the mess the puppy just made in the foyer.


For the rest of this post, jump on over to the Internet Cafe's Ministry Counter:



  ©Blog Design by Amy Bayliss.

Return to top